To subscribe via email, enter your email address:     Or click here for the RSS feed.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Home Made Videos Can Be Good For Business (and other tips), Marketing With Audio And Video

Home made videos can be good for business, and try planning your video from the end - 2 lessons you learn in today's excerpt from the Marketing With Audio And Video Show with Penny Haynes and her guest, Lorraine Grula of http://www.VideoProductionTips.com. Remember to get your free excerpt of "101 Things To Do With Audio And Video (To Promote Your Business)" at http://101ThingsAudioVideo.com. This show is brought to you by the http://www.CommercialCreationCenter.com.



Slick videos can cause mistrust - people sometimes think that you're trying to pull one over on them. That's why home made videos are sometimes good for business. People see another business person trying to make a living, just like them, and it can be endearing.

Also, try planning your video from the end. Lorraine shares some great questions to keep in mind before you even pick up your camera. I then make those questions concrete by sharing how I would answer them for the Marketing With Audio And Video show.

Lastly, spend time watching tv and see how most shows are. They mainly have people sitting around and talking. Think you can do that? :)

On a personal note, today I printed out the manuscript for my book, "101 Things To Do With Audio And Video (To Promote Your Business)" in order to send it in to a publisher. The reaction from my Commercial Creation Center members and people on Twitter was interesting. Several people really pushed the idea of self-publishing instead. It's not that I hadn't thought of that - I just thought it would come across more as vanity publishing and less as a credentialed author. I was thinking that a major publisher would give me an expert status that I couldn't get otherwise.

What do you think? Have any of you been published by a major publisher? Would you do it again? Did you make any money at all? Did the "published author" status help you afterward? Let me know by leaving me a comment below, or contacting me via http://TroubleShootingDesk.com (my contact us system).

2 comments:

  1. Hey Penny.
    On the publishing question...Yes a "real" publisher would give you credibility but from what I know, going that route is a major headache and you as author don't get much out of it.

    Are you familiar with Morgan James publishing? They are an interesting mix between self publishing and a "real" publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. I keep getting that information, but not directly from people who've ever been published by someone else. And unfortunately, even a mix between self and real publishing doesn't work when I don't have the money to spend on printing. I actually have access to a client of mine who does that type of publishing (I do his clients' audio books). I just can't see the benefit of printing the books when I can sell them as ebooks without it costing me more money. Maybe I should just forget print at all?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate you stopping by.